Friday, May 4, 2012

what's your passion?


A few months ago, I had an epiphany of sorts. My constant prayer was "Lord, I give you my all, my everything...I want to do your will." And yet, I realized that while my prayer was heartfelt, I was holding something back...while I thought I was giving Him everything, there was still something that was I was keeping for myself....my career. And it occurred to me that I needed to offer Him that too...if it turned out that He wanted/wants me to work in the secular world, that's fine, but the very least I can do is ask Him what HE wants, what HE has planned.

And so I did, and like always, He was very clear what He wanted. When it comes right down to it, the only thing that matters is that we make it to heaven. Really. That's all that matters. The building of the Kingdom is our mission while here on earth...some of us may be called to build the Kingdom by being mothers, others by being priests or religious, and still others by working in various other fields. But our sole mission is to get to heaven and help others get there too. 

When I took a step back and asked myself what I was passionate about, what I REALLY loved, the answer was simple: The Church. 
Yes, I am a Psychology major. 
Yes, I will be graduating in a week with my B.S. in Psychology. 
Yes, it interests me and I could talk for awhile about everything from operant conditioning to DTT with children who have Autism to the power of the reciprocity rule. 
However, I could (and have) talk for HOURS about the beauty of our Mother Church, about the wisdom of our dear Pope, about the courage and strength of our amazing saints, about the magnificence of the gift we have in the Eucharist, etc etc etc....

My passion is the Lord, is His Church and I finally realized that I am called to work hands-on to build the Kingdom. I don't want to be sitting on the sidelines, hearing about the awesome things that people are doing to spread God's love and evangelize the world...I want to be right in the middle of the action...I have been CALLED, and for the first time, I was able to respond to that call with a resounding "YES!"

Thankfully, my parents have been very supportive of my goals and my dreams, but I'm being realistic about everything, which probably helps them with being so open to what I (and more importantly, God) want with my life. And it's difficult for me to trust that the Lord is taking care of everything, but deep down, I know He's got this. I'm not sure exactly what it is that He wants me to do, but as of now, I plan on (someday) going back to school for my Masters in Theology...I really love campus ministry because I feel like the college students of today have such a great opportunity to be a voice in the wilderness, so I would love to be a part of something along those lines, but I'm open to anything...so we'll see! 

He's got a plan...now I've just gotta "Let Go and Let God" as they say...whoever "they" are....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be my friend and leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...