Saturday, November 17, 2012

music critic, reporting for duty.

I don't claim to know everything about anything.
But I would claim to know something about everything.
.......well, I know something about a lot of things.

I was scanning through radio stations today when I stumbled upon the alternative station.
Score.

And I was happy with the first couple songs, including Chalk Outline, which is the kind of music I associate with the alternative genre.

But then I heard Let's Go and I was like whaaaa? This isn't alternative!!!

AND THEN the DJ announced that after the break, they'd be back with Florence and the Machine. Wha to the whaaaa?! Freaking Florence and the Machine is not alternative.

So when I got home, just out of curiosity, I looked up the current Top 20 Alternative Songs.
And I. am. appalled.

What passes for "Alternative" these days is not what it was back in the day.

Madness by Muse is the #1 Alternative song...which, ok, that's legit. I would consider Muse "alternative".

BUT the #2 song is I Will Wait by Mumford and Sons. ohhhh no. nope. nuh-uh. Mumford IS NOT alternative.

Other artists featured on the top 20 list are The Black Keys (almost alt. but no), The Lumineers (um. no.), Alex Clare (are you kidding me?!), fun. (NO NO NO), and Of Monsters and Men (what the freak?!).

The only artists on the list that I would agree with them being alternative are Green Day, Linkin Park, and Rise Against.

You see, I was a huge alternative aficionado in high school, so I know a thing or two about what alternative music sounds like. When I think about alternative music, I think OK Go, Foo Fighters, Goo Goo Dolls, Jimmy Eat World, and Paramore.

Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways and can't deal with genres evolving, but I don't care.
What the heck.

That's all. Anyone else have thoughts on the subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be my friend and leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...