Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Not Alone Series: Discernment

We all agree that discernment is challenging. Figuring out what the Lord is calling you to do with your life can be frustrating and exhausting. But, then add on lack of family support, cultural pressures, and your personal expectations... ugh. And, this isn't just in relation to vocational discernment, but general life discernment, too! How do you keep going? What helps you to push through? How can we encourage one another? What indicators have you experienced that lets you know you're going down the right path?


The word "discernment" within Catholic circles causes me to automatically think of vocational discernment specifically. But I think it's important to identify that "discernment" is simply deciphering the Lord's will...and that can be about anything!

Trying to decide if you should stay in your job or look for something else? Discernment.
Having a hard time knowing if your significant other is "the one"? Or "the one for now"? Discernment.
Struggling to find a time or way to approach a friend or family member about a difficult subject? Discernment.

Nearly every choice in our lives requires discernment: allowing God to have a say on the decision. While I don't think this applies to "Should I have white or wheat bread?" or other little choices like that, we definitely must give Him input on the big things.

I generally have a hard time keeping in perspective that God DOES have a plan in mind for me. It's so easy to get stressed and worried about "where is my life going?! am I making the right choice?! ahh I don't know what to do!!" ....when really, what I SHOULD do, is take it to prayer. And give God an honest chance to lead me the right way.

The biggest thing that I look for when discerning His will is peace. If I don't have peace, then something needs to change. And change maybe needs to happen within circumstances, or my own heart. Not having peace might simply be an indicator that I need to grow. Humility is HARD. Change is HARD. But the more and more you allow God to give input on your life, the easier it is to tell His will.

At least, that has been my experience.

It's similar to watching a small child...most little kids have languages of their own, and if you've never encountered them before, it can be hard to understand their wants and needs. But their parents can understand them perfectly! The more time you spend with that child, the more you'll begin to understand them. This is also true with our Lord. The more you spend time with Him, the more you listen to Him, the easier it is to know what He wants for you.

Discernment never stops. I think this is the hardest thing for me the grasp. So often I long for the time in my life when I'm settled with my husband and a kid or two....but EVEN THEN discernment will come into play! Does the Lord desire more children for us? Are we working where He wants? How should our children be educated?

AH! Neverending!

But hopefully, by this point, I'll be so tuned into the Lord's voice that these choices can be made more easily.

Do you struggle with life discernment? How have you learned to hear the Lord's voice? Write a post and link up below!

------------------

Next week's topic:
Still have those deal breakers?
We have chatted about our deal breakers/non-negotiables before, but how do you keep from letting your standards fall? What prevents you from just dating any guy out there? What keeps you going?

11/11: Feeling down
What ways do you run to implore the Lord's help when you are struggling? Do you always spend time in Adoration? Do you dive into the bible? Automatically go to Confession? Could you be better? How? And what about those times when things are good and you are joyous? Do you still give the Lord your time?

11/18: Prayer Altar/Corner
How do you pray at home? Do you have a special place in your house? How do you make that area special? Comfy chair? Icons? Prayer cards? What suggestions do you have to make a home altar? If you don't do this, in what ways can you begin?

11/25: Thanksgiving! :) 
In what ways are we thankful?! Write about anything you want under this theme! Do you have any family traditions that help you to be mindful of the blessings in your life?



1 comment:

  1. Prayer is so critical. If you're not committing to spending regular, significant time with God, how can you possibly expect him to tell you what you ought to do in circumstances big and small? Communicate!

    ReplyDelete

Be my friend and leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...