Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Pass It On

I was reminded yesterday of how much our world needs kindness.

Yesterday was a crappy day. Really crappy. I won't go into the details, but my morning was not good. On my lunch, I ran to the bank quickly and then to Chipotle to grab some comfort food. Chipotle is my go-to because it's DELICIOUS but yesterday my decision was made more out of "maybe Chipotle will make me feel better."

Look at that mountain of deliciousness. Nom.

Turning to food for comfort? Ugh. Not good, but that's not a habit of mine, so I let it slide.

I'm in line...the long lunch line...place my delicious order, and when I get to the register, realize that I forgot my wallet at home. NOOOO. I remember exactly where I left it too, which made this so much more annoying.

I tell the cashier that I forgot my wallet...womp. Can I pay with a check? No.
UGHHHH!!

And this is when the sweet counter person (ya know, the one who keeps things moving between the line and cashier) says "don't worry about it...I've got this."

UM WHAT?! Are you sure? It's ok...I'll just eat napkins...

But no, she insists.

Oh man. What a perfectly wonderful random act of kindness. She had no idea how much I needed that.

Since I'm not sure if good deeds are still good deeds if you toot your own horn, I try not to speak of the random acts of kindness I've done for other people. But don't you sometimes wonder "will anyone ever pay it forward to me?" Sure, the person in front of me in the Starbucks drive-thru has paid for my coffee before...that's always nice. But I don't think I've ever had an act of kindness bestowed upon me when I really needed a smile.


So, kind Chipotle worker, this is for you. Thank you for your kindness on a rough day, I'll do my best to pay it forward.

I encourage you to do the same. While a smile, or coffee, or lunch might seem like nothing to you, it could very well turn the recipient's day around. :)

4 comments:

  1. What a bright star into a rather dark day! It's so great when the Lord takes care of us in small ways! Also now I kind of want Chipotle for lunch ... hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lord knew you needed that, not just the comfort of Chipotle but the reminder that there are kind, gracious people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, yay for good people! I can't wait till I'm at a place in my life to be able to do more things like that :-) Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself turning to food to rectify a bad mood or fix a bad day from time to time. I sort of justify it to myself because we don't really use food to celebrate or as the only reason to socialize.

    Plus, Chipotle is just straight up delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Be my friend and leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...